Focus on Haines Photography Tours
Designed and tailored for the daily visitor to Haines, Alaska
4 to 5 hour private tours for singles or couples. Limit of 3 people per tour.
What we will cover
Photography is many things to many people, interests vary, expertise varies, and equipment varies. My tours are small, that I might address each individual’s interests, equipment, styles and expectations. Regardless of your level of expertise, from beginner to advanced, or your style of camera, from high-end DSLR, point & shoot, or camera phone, my experience will tailor our excursion to suit your level of ability and equipment.
In the course of most tours, I strive to cover the basics of your camera’s technical functions, and instruct how and when to use the camera’s various modes to optimize the photograph you would like to save as a real keeper. This would include choosing the proper ISO, how to optimize white-balance, when to use aperture mode vs. shutter priority, and the proper application of bracketing to optimize a broad dynamic range within a shot with high contrast. I also cover the necessary tips and settings to optimize your opportunities for successful wildlife photography.
Or if you just want to go out and shoot pretty scenes, I also discuss at length the optimal compositional considerations when framing your shots to come home with an award-winning photograph. “Snapshot” does not need to be in your vocabulary.
What we will see
You have come a long way to experience an environment that is unparalleled in the Lower 48 states. I want you to return home with iconic shots of the Alaska you have dreamed of and envisioned. This includes
- Alaskan cultural heritage
- Totemic art, poles and panels.
- I offer an historical perspective on the interaction between the local indigenous Tlingit people and the Anglo people who were invited to settle here and create our town.
- The historic Fort Wm. H. Seward: Alaska’s first permanently established Army outpost.
- I offer an historical perspective on why and how this outpost came to be established in Haines, and its evolution after its decommission. The Fort is still a vibrant center of the Haines borough.
- Alaska’s commercial maritime heritage
- Haines’ oldest continually operating business is an historic cannery located on a scenic cove near town. This is a truly iconic location.
- The Alaskan landscape
- Sweeping vistas, glaciers, wildflowers, salmon rivers, and wildlife as wildlife permits.
- Totemic art, poles and panels.
(The weather and time of day may often enhance or constrain the photographic opportunities. Regardless, opportunities are always presenting themselves, and my guests have rarely been disappointed on any given day with any given weather. I select locations that lend themselves to the time of day and prevalent light conditions.)
My day tours are private tours for individuals and couples. You will not be loaded into a van or bus with others and escorted as a group. (Your couch will be a 2016 Subaru Outback) This is YOUR tour. For a single or couple (two adults related or not, and a single child or parent may be included) I offer the following options:
Four-hour private tour: $300 plus 4% sales tax
Five-hour private tour: $400 plus 4% sales tax
An additional photographer (third member of the party) can be added for an additional $150 plus tax.
Reservations must be made and paid for two weeks in advance of a booking date to assure scheduling. Non-scheduled tours are possible subject to availability.
If you have further questions, I am happy to discuss your needs and questions by email of phone call. If you would like to talk by phone, please provide your number and the best time to call via an email and I will be happy to contact you.